Tenderloins are cut from the loin area of the cow and is a rather long muscle. The meat is very lean, but at the same time extremely tender. That’s why one pays the extra penny for this cut of meat. While not as rich and fatty as a ribeye steak, a good tenderloin steak is considered the best cut by many critics worldwide.
Our top 5 tips for cooking tenderloin steaks
Cooking the perfect tenderloin steak can be a challenge. Here's our top 5 tips for achieving tenderloin perfection every time.
- Buy the best quality tenderloin steaks, such as Wagyu or Holstein. We would recommend buying a whole tenderloin or at least a larger cut of it, as you will then get the best cuts a tenderloin has to offer.
- Season the steaks with salt and pepper before cooking. You can even dry brine the steaks the day before cooking and let them brine overnight.
- Sear the steaks in a hot pan until you have a nice crust on each side. In case of a tenderloin steak, you can usually sear the edges as well.
- After searing, remove the steaks from the pan (or searing zone) and cook them indirectly until they have the desired internal temperature. In case of pan searing, you can use your oven (at 225 degrees Celsius) for this step. In case of barbecuing, you can use the indirect zone of your barbecue.
- Remove the steaks and let them rest for at least five minutes. If desired, you can wrap them in baking paper or aluminum foil while resting.
As always, practice makes perfect. By purchasing a whole tenderloin, you get the chance to repeatedly practice your tenderloin cooking mastery until you become a specialist. It is truly a form of art that most certainly will impress your family and friends during a dinner night.
We have the best quality tenderloins available in our online store. Be sure to take a look and purchase your desired tenderloin steak!